Friday, November 27, 2009

Liquid Lunch with the Aardman Crew

By now I'm very familiar with the Butcombe family of fine beers. This was Butcombe Blond, chilled from a pull tap and very appropriate for a midday visit to the pub. Once again, the tap experience was better than the bottle. See how little head there is on the beer? My beer pal Alan Short tells me (somewhat critically) that Southern ales are known to be flat, while Northern ales are proudly crafted to maintain a fine, thick head throughout. It's true -- most of the ales I've had here, while delicious, have very little carbonation in them and not much head. These ales drink more like juice than beer.

This is a baby Butcombe. One thing I find very fun about the pubs here is that they will serve a half pint of beer if you ask for it. It's the perfect amount when a full pint seems to be too much (e.g., at lunch). I've included a full pint glass in the photo for scale. I also find that very often a pub will have glasses with the beer brands printed on them, so no matter what you order, you can read what you're drinking right on the glass -- good for when you forget what you're holding in your hands.


No comments:

Post a Comment