Sunday, January 17, 2010

Beer With Appeal

I immediately thought of my friend and beer expert Jeff Dillinger when I saw this one. He's always up for any beer drinking challenge, and this one looked like it would indeed be a challenge to get through. It's not a flavor of beer I would feel compelled to try, but in the interests of complete investigating, I gave it a go. For Jeff. Also, this one is made by our friends at Wells who brew the luscious Bombardier, so I had to approach it with some measure of respect. The analysis: the banana bread flavor was not overwhelming, but it definitely had a presence. It was acceptable as a novelty beer (kinda like the honey beers), but there's no way it could ever be a go-to favorite. I just can't see anyone going down to their local and having 3 or 4 of these. Not a session beer.

1 comment:

  1. I have actually tried this one a couple of times. I first saw it in Austin while with my mom who has been making amazing banana bread for as long as I can remember so I found it impossible to pass up. I ended up drinking it with my dad and while I enjoyed the taste, it was a bit unbalanced. I wanted to try it again to see, and I think I'm done with it now. I love the flavor of banana in a good hefeweizen, but I'm not sure how well it worked in this beer.

    ReplyDelete